Development of a country or a community could be measured with the progress achieved by women in that particular area. LAMP believes that development process is not strengthened until and unless women are actively involved in the process. In the residuary State of Andhra Pradesh women are confronting with many problems such as gender discrimination, caste disparities, un-employment, migration, immoral trafficking, abuse, abduction, atrocities, assaults and persecution.
LAMP has been striving hard to empower women so as to make them as the instruments of social transformation and paradigm shift.
With this prime objective LAMP is doing the following:
- Organizing women into Self Help Groups
- Strengthening the Groups for making them eligible to receive various benefits from the government
- Imparting life-centred education for making the conscious on their fundamental rights
- Imparting skill development training for creating alternative and sustainable livelihoods
- Enhancing nutrition and health for adolescent girls and women especially among vulnerable communities
Revitalization of 'Chenchu' Community
LAMP entered into the partnership with Centre for World Solidarity and ASW and started implementing a project for the revitalization of 'Chenchu' Community in 12 habitations exist in the Nallamala Forest region and spread in 4 Mandals namely Bollapalli, Veldurthi, Durgi and Macherla in Guntur District, Andhra Pradesh, India. Chenchu Community has been declared as MOST VULNERABLE TRIBE (MVT) whose population is drastically declining year by year. This project would address their fundamental human rights while organizing them into groups for ensuring better survival for them. On the other hand this project aims at accomplishing and tapping various programmes being implemented by the government for the welfare and development of Chenchu Community
Many species of flora and fauna are getting threatened and being imperiled from the planet earth due to high magnitude of pollution and biodiversity depletion. Now the threat is at the threshold of human kind with the pollution of entire eco-system which is resulting in climate change, global warming, drought, natural calamities, disasters and catastrophes. For mitigating the hazards, LAMP is carrying out various programs as mentioned below to safeguard the environment:
- Plantations and afforestation
- Biodiversity conservation through peoples' participation
- Inculcation of Eco-friendly culture among the people
- Sustainable Agriculture and Organic farming
- Effective management of soil and water resources
- Effective solid waste management
- Participatory research on safeguarding Traditional Knowledge and best practices to ensure sustainable management of land and natural resources
SAFE VILLAGE PROGRAM
Safe Village Program is an innovative strategy designed by the My Choices Foundation to effectively address three contemporary issues which are really impoverishing women and girls from attaining their very safety and development. Safe Village Program primarily addresses three major issues viz. 1. Sex Trafficking of Women and Girls, 2. Domestic violence and 3. Child marriages. These three issues are inter-related and having its high incidence in Guntur District. The My Choices Foundation identified most vulnerable villages with the help of a research based data analysis and identified LAMP to work in Guntur District to redress these problems. Under this program, we do work in identified villages where there are high risk factors and organize the village to make all the people conscious on abductions, the pimps who lure the innocent women and girls while exploiting their social and economical burdens. We generate awareness among the girls, boys, fathers, mothers, village elders and all the officials concerning to that particular area through screening programmes, lectures, discussions and by distributing flyers and comic books. We give widespread publicity for this program to sensitize the people on this through media coverage.